Sunday 24 October 2010

rust tiles

Its half term so I have a little more time to play with clay this week. First up is an attempt to see if rust prints can translate into glaze.

I glazed two ready made biscuit fired tiles with a clear glaze. Then I placed a rusty and damp wire sculpture on top of the still slightly damp glaze, added a weight and left it all for 30 minutes. The result was ok but the wire a bit too bendy and the tile has no give so the pattern did not transfer completely. It looked a bit stark so I flicked some rusty water over the image and tried re-pressing a few times. It now looks a bit scruffy but more interesting than the first incomplete press. I cant wait to see if the iron oxide stains the glaze successfully...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.